Sunday, June 29, 2008

little nudges

My dad's best friend from high school was named Kevin, and he was an excellent musician - the kind of person who would get a three part harmony going with you, him, and an outboard motor. Although he didn't play music for a living, I think he really would have loved to be able to. We used to play together all the time, just sit around with acoustics and sing Neil Young songs until it got dark. He died almost ten years ago, and I was very sad, and I missed him a great deal.

Thankfully, his ghost keeps track of me, via: two songs I hear on the radio when I need them ("Old Man" and "Ain't No Sunshine," in case you were wondering); dreams I have from time to time; a spooky recording of him singing with my mom and dad turning up just when I was getting started in New York, you know, etc. My brother and I went to record at my uncle's studio yesterday, and I looked up and saw this:


Kevin's is the middle signature - my uncle likes to have people sign the walls when they come to record.

Whenever I need a little boost; a little encouragement not to give up on my biggest music dreams; whenever I think, "Oh, I'll just start my own popsicle company instead" - Kevin gently smacks me from beyond the grave.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I'm sure he loves your version of "Old Man"... Do you have a copy of the compilation CD of Kevin's songs that Eddie put together?