Saturday, July 5, 2008

How to Make a Something Something


I am piecing together various Terribly Significant scraps of fabric that have been bouncing around my life for the past several years into a...lazy-person's quilt? I don't know what you would call it. I'm not actually making little quilt squares, just using big whole squares of cloth. And a couple of quilt squares, but very lazy ones. And maybe some applique stuff later.

Anyquilt, there are scraps from when we made N.'s snowsuit, tablecloths from our wedding, pieces of the soft bed-railing we made and slept on for two years (that was the background of my album cover)...flannel that was going be boxers for D., but we split up before I finished them, so I made it into pillows for school...

I need to start and finish a large, physically realized creative project to give myself a concrete sense of progress, because I am feeling a little plateau-y at the moment. Which is, of course, better than a screaming zero-g dive; nevertheless.

What else, you ask? Well. I'm trying to make a solo guitar record in my spare time. Yale hired me to play on a street corner on Friday, and it poured rain for part of it, so they tucked me into a neat little bookstore and asked me to play quietly. So I went through a bunch of my instrumental noodles that have developed themselves into songs-ish, and they were well received. By a cute guy. Who came up and spoke to me after, but alas, didn't give his name. So. Solo guitar record. Hoping for many startlingly lucrative licensing opps.

In other news, it is so DAMP in my house I could PLOTZ. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am urgently needed in my capacity as a Polly Pocket shoe-positioner.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I don't think any quilt made by hand could be called a lazy person's quilt. No matter how big the blocks are. I also have a tendency to diminish what I'm doing by describing it as lazy or easy or not-really-a-quilt. But you (we) should not do that because (man, a whole bunch of reasons just flooded my brain, but most importantly) it's made by hand and that is Real and Important and Special for Nella. And so many other reasons.

I think your Quilt is going to be wonderful.

love you!!

Mandy said...

OH! And P.S. Anyquilt? Hilarious.

Sarah said...

It's an old Simpsons joke, but it's fresh in my mind from one of my favorite blogs.

Colleen said...

I love the idea of a quilt, it seems like one of the ultimate labors of love. If I ever actually go through the long process to make one, though, I would be shocked.